To apply for Medicaid, go to the Department of Human Services (DHS) office in the county where you live. If you are not able to go, a family member or friend may apply for you. You must sign an application form and give certain information about yourself and your family, how much money you make, and any other money or property you have. The county office will determine your eligibility.

You can print a Family Medicaid Application from the Division of County Operations on the DHS website, or call 1-800-482-8988 or contact your local county DHS office for more information.

When you go to the county office to apply for Medicaid, bring the following information about yourself and your family members who live with you:

  • Proof of your age such as a birth certificate, driver’s license or a birth record from the hospital

  • Paycheck stubs for everyone in your household who has a job

  • Social Security card

  • Letters or forms from Social Security, SSI, Veteran’s Administration, or other sources that show the amount of your income

  • Insurance policies, including other health insurance policies

  • Bank books or other papers that show the amount of money or property you own


You can also apply for ARKids First-A and ARKids First-B at the same time by completing the application form. DHS will look at your application and decide whether you qualify for either program. You have several options to apply.

  • Apply for ARKids First online

  • You can print an application form from the ARKids website. You can get help with this at your local library.

  • You can call 1-888-474-8275 and ask to have an application form mailed to you.

  • You can visit your county DHS office to get an application form.

The application will ask questions about how much money you make and whether your children have health insurance. You will also need a copy of your child’s birth certificate to prove your child’s age. If your child is not a U.S. citizen, you will need copies of the child’s alien papers. Paper application forms and the other papers can be mailed or hand-delivered to your county DHS office.